White House Holidays: Valentine's Day Unit Study
The White House Holidays: Valentine's Day Unit Study is all-inclusive and designed for the whole family to use together (Grades K-12). It comes as a downloadable PDF you can print.
What You’ll Learn and Do
How to Use
- Unit study features five lessons, each written as a story to read aloud with your family
- Learn about the love stories of presidential couples John and Abigail Adams and Ronald and Nancy Reagan
- Discover the lost art of letter writing
- Learn the history behind two presidential weddings, John and Julia Tyler and Grover and Frances Cleveland
- Create Valentine’s Day cards based on presidential history—copywork and composition
- View White House art (portraiture) and architecture
- Listen to music by U.S. Marine Band (American marches)
- Enjoy presidential poetry
- Learn about Jacqueline Kennedy’s White House restoration and view historic television program, “A Tour of the White House with Mrs. John F. Kennedy”
- Prepare Jacqueline Kennedy’s waffle recipe for Valentine’s Day brunch
- Explore further with Internet links/videos
- Internet linked
- Comes as electronic PDF you can print
- Includes lesson plans and an answer key
- Everything is included. Families only need to have Internet access and provide craft supplies they probably already have around the house.
- 64 pages filled with great stories, creative activities, and primary sources
- Written by a presidential scholar
- Parents will learn too!
How to Use
- Designed for the whole family to use together (Grades K-12)
- Some activities are modified for different grade levels
- Flexible. Complete one lesson each day leading up to Valentine’s Day, or work the lessons in according to your family’s needs.
- Social Studies: .06 credits (10 hours)
- Language Arts: .03 credits (5 hours)
- Fine Art: .025 credits (4 hours)
- Electives (Cooking Skills): .01 credits (2 hours)